If you are new with NETGEAR Wi-Fi extender, then first and foremost thing that you should be aware of, is www.mywifiext.net webpage.
It is not like other websites that you surf on internet, but is a local webpage, given by NETGEAR, to its users.
NETGEAR has provided www.mywifiext.net with wide range of functionality such as installing new extender, updating firmware, changing extender wireless settings and what not. This itself show importance of this web interface in the world of NETGEAR devices.
Let’s discuss various functionality of this web interface one by one. But first let’s discuss various pre-requisites which should have to be kept in mind before using this local webpage.
Which pre-requisites user have to keep in mind to successfully install NETGEAR Wi-Fi range extender using www.mywifiext.net?
Although NETGEAR extender can be installed by following any one method among manual and WPS method but there exist some pre-requisites, of which user have to take care to complete installation process without any trouble.
Although these pre-requisites are mentioned time and again, but still users pay least attention toward them. This is the main reason for having trouble while accessing setup page.
Let’s discuss about these pre-requisites one by one.
- First and foremost, requirement is to place NETGEAR range extender in that very room where you had your home router installed. Once the installation process gets completed, you can place it wherever you want.
Most of the issue arises because of ignorance toward above stated point.
Long distance between extender and router during installation process may hinder establishment of link between them.
- Next comes power supply of NETGEAR extender.
For installation process to begin, the device that is going to be installed must have to be in up-state. Thus regular power supply is one of the major requirement for initiating new extender setup.
You can confirm status of power supply by noticing status of Power LED.
- Next is workable home network. While installing NETGEAR extender we are actually establishing its link with home network. If in case our home network itself is not in workable condition, then how can we establish link between it and extender.
- It is always advisable to have two or more web browser installed on your device.
Scenario may arise where you become unable to access www.mywifiext.net webpage just because of issue with web browser.
In that case if you have another web browser installed on your device, then you can proceed with launching web page using this browser.
Last requirement is although not that much necessary.
So these were some important points which user should have to keep in mind before launching new extender setup.
Now let us proceed further toward discussing various applications of this local webpage.
Applications of www.mywifiext.net webpage
www.mywifiext.net works as an interface between extender device and user. Thus you will be required to login this webpage for performing every task related to your extender device.
By this one can understand how wide the applicability of this web interface is.
But for user’s convenience, we had divided these applications into category.
So let’s begin.
(A) New extender Setup
In case you are going for new extender setup then it can be done by following any one method from the below given methods:
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup(WPS)method
- Manual method/ www.mywifiext.net Smart setup
There are some basic differences in these two methods. But at the day end it does not matter which method you had followed to install your range extender, in all cases you will require knowledge of www.mywifiext setup page.
We will try to elucidate on both of this method in coming sections. But firstly we will discuss about common issues which user may encounter while dealing with web page.
What are various reason because of which I am unable to access www.mywifiext.net can’t access www.mywifiext.net NETGEAR range extender setup page?
There can be many reasons because of which user became unable to access local webpage of NETGEAR. Error Message that user may get in such scenario can look like:
- www.mywifiext.net cannot be reached
- www.mywifiext.net not available
- Sorry the website www.mywifiext.net cannot be found
- Why does https:// www.mywifiext.net not work
- mywifiext.net will not connect
Some of the common issues which restrain user to access www.mywifiext.net are as listed below:
- www.mywifiext.net extender setup page can only be accessed in case your NETGEAR range extender is powered on.
So first thing to ensure is your device should have to be powered on. It may happen that you had put your device on power but still device is not considered to be powered on because of the reason of interrupted power supply.
To confirm that whether device is genuinely powered on or not you can refer to status of Power LED present at the front of your extender.
If it is green, then it will show that your device is getting power genuinely.
- It is possible that your web browser might be having some compatibility issue. So you are recommended to try to open up web page using other browser.
- One of the reason may be that your NETGEAR range extender is placed too far from your network router.
It is always recommended that, in case you are going through new extender setup, place your extender in same room as your network router is.
- It is possible that your web browser may not be able to resolve the URL into IP address. In such case you are recommended to type IP address 192.168.1.250 in the address bar of browser. It is nothing else but IP address assigned to local webpage.
- The issue may also arise due to temporary files, which got downloaded while you were surfing on internet.
So you are recommended to delete all cache and browsing history of your web browser and try again with web page.
- Even if after all this you are unable to figure out issue and can’t access www.mywifiext.net setup page then you are requested to contact NETGEAR support.
How to setup new NETGEAR range extender in network?
After getting brief insight on www.mywifiext.net web page, now comes the time to know how to use it for setting up NETGEAR extender.
As stated above, we can install NETGEAR range extender by following any one of the following two methods.
1. Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)method:-This method has made installation of extender as every one’s affair. It provides user highest ease in setting up new NETGEAR WiFi range extender in network.
For setting up your extender by WPS method all you have to do is to follow below listed steps:
- Firstly, do ensure that your extender is powered on. For this you can take help of Power LED.
- Then locate WPS button on your NETGEAR range extender. Press and hold the WPS button for a while.
- Then press WPS button of your network router.
- Note: The time gap between pressing WPS button on extender and network router should not exceed 2 minutes.
- Just by doing this your new extender setup stands to be completed. Now you can place it wherever you desire.
You can access extender’s network on your WiFi devices, by selecting network, named same as your home network but have _EXT at the end.
Password of the network will remain same as your home network has.
To change various settings such as network name, password etc you have to go for
www.mywifiext.net login. To login into this setup page you have to follow some simple steps which are:
- Launch web browser on your WiFi device which is connected with extender's network.
- Once you launch web browser, local web page will get opened by default.
- But in case it does not opened by itself then, you will be required to manually enter www.mywifiext.net in address bar of web browser.
- For login you will need to enter credentials like www.mywifiext.net admin name and www.mywifiext.net login password.
By default, username for NETGEAR extender stands to be admin and password is password.
- Here you can change extender settings by clicking on Setup and then Wireless settings.
- After making desired changes, click on Apply button.
- After applying these changes your connection with Wi-Fi range extender will be lost. You have to reconnect with extender’s network by entering new credentials.
2. Manual method/ www.mywifiext.net NETGEAR Genie Setup: -This method is known as manual method because of the reason that user has to enter various details manually during installation process.
You will require a WiFi device such as laptop, tablet.
This method is highly useful if your router is not WPS enabled.
To launch new extender setup using www.mywifiext.net setup genie you have to follow the below listed steps:
- As stated in above sections, foremost step is to power on your NETGEAR range extender.
- Then, do establish connection between your WiFi device and NETGEAR range extender, either by using Ethernet cable or by using WiFi signal.
To do this you will be required to open up Network manager and select extender’s network which will be names as, having _EXT along with the name of your home network.
- Next step involves launching web browser on your WiFi device. You can use any web browser that you wish.
If you are going though installation process for the first time, then you will be automatically prompted to www.mywifiext.net setup page. But in case otherwise, you have to type www.mywifiext.net in address bar or you can also enter IP address 192.168.1.250.
- You will be prompted to Create Account screen. Here you have to enter various information and click on NEXT button.
- If your range extender is capable to work in both extender and access point mode, then you will be asked to select in which mode you want to setup your extender. Here do select WiFi range extender option.
- Then, in case if it is dual band, then you will be asked to select the band on which you want to install your extender. If in case it is single band then this option will not be available to you.
- Now select home network from, list of available network and enter the password for it.
- Here comes the time to setup various credentials such as username, password etc as per one’s requirement.
Just by clicking on Next button your changes get applied. Due to this reason connection between your device and extender will be lost and you will be needed to re-establish connection between your device and extender by using new assigned credentials.
- Once you establish connection with extender, you will be asked to register by entering various details. You can enter these details or can also skip the step for time being.
Thus your new extender setup stands to be completed. You can now place your extender wherever you want, but essentially within the coverage area of network router’s signal. You can also take help of Router Link LED to locate suitable spot to place your extender.
(B) Changing Username and password using www.mywifiext.net
Changing username and password of Netgear WiFi range extender is too easy. All you have to do is to follow steps, given below:
- Open web browser on WiFi device which is connected with the extender network. This device can be laptop, computer, mobile etc.
- Enter www.mywifiext.net in the address bar of the web browser. You can also write 192.168.1.250 instead of this web page name.
- Then you will be prompted to window where you have to enter your email address and password.
- Now do hit on Menu icon.
- In this firstly select Settings and then Password Settings.
- The window will appear in which you can enter your new username in the New User Name field.
- Enter the password you want to assign in the New Password field. Re-enter the new password in verify password field.
- You can choose questions and answers from the list.
- Now click on SAVE button and by this your username and password gets changed.
Now next time when you want to login into extender then you need to enter these new username and password for the same.
(C) Recovering password of your NETGEAR range extender
Password is must to get connected with your extender network. SO what to do if you forget extender password?
Nothing else, but just login into NETGEAR’s web-interface and your issue will get resolved.
(D) Changing Wireless Settings of NETGEAR extender
Need may arise, where you will need to change settings of your already installed NETGEAR WiFi extender. In this case also www.mywifiext.net webpage provides a platform to do so.
(E) Updating Firmware
Regular updation of firmware, which gets stored in read only memory of device, is very much important.
Although NETGEAR releases regular notifications regarding updated version of firmware, but still it may happen that user may miss this notification.
In that scenario user will be required to login into web interface for updating firmware.
(F) Enabling Fast Lane technology
One of the application of this web interface is enabling fast lane technology on device.
Although Netgear fastlane technology does not get enabled on all NETGEAR devices, but all those devices which have this technology imbibed, must require login into web interface to get enabled.
By this we end up our discussion.
Hope by end, you had understood importance of NETGEAR local web page.