New NETGEAR EX6100 AC750 range extender setup is almost same as other NETGEAR extenders, with minute differences. This we will discuss later, but let’s first have a look at, main features of EX6100 range extender.
NETGEAR EX6100 range extender is capable to deliver AC750 dual band WiFi with up to 750 Mbps. That is why it is named so.
It also comes along with gigabit Ethernet port. Through which you can connect any wired device with your extender.
Some of other basic features of NETGEAR EX6100 range extender includes:
- It is dual band range extender. Thus can work for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band
- Is compact in size; thus you can plug it into wall.
- It comes along with gigabit Ethernet port. Using this port, you can also connect wired devices with NETGEAR AC750 range extender.
- It is capable to be used as both extender and as access point.
- It comes along with one of the special feature provided by NETGEAR i.e. Fastlane Technology.
- It has external adjustable antennas which you can adjust as per your requirement.
Once you had bought AC750 extender then next question that will strike in your mind will be how to install it in your network. Answer to this question lies in our further discussion.
As stated above, you can install AC750 extender as both access point and extender. Procedure to be followed in both cases has been explained below.
Firstly, let’s discuss procedure of installing AC750 as extender.
Steps involved in installing EX6100 in extender mode
Extenders are nothing else but Wi-Fi signal boosters. Their function is to boost up Wi-Fi signal coming out from network router. So, EX6100 extender does, when is in extender mode.
Installation process can be divided into two steps that are:
First: Powering on extender
Second: Establishing connection between extender and router.
Firstly, you have to turn Access Point/Extender switch toward extender. This will notify to the device that it has to work as extender.
Now start with first step that is powering on the device.
Step for this is simple i.e. put extender device to power outlet.
Once your device gets powered on, Power LED will turn to be solid green. This is the time to go for second step.
Second step is to establish connection between extender device and router. This can be done by following any one method among:
- WPS method
- Web browser setup
1. WPS method: - By this method user can install his/her extender by just pressing a button. This is reason why this method is also called as Push N Connect setup.
Steps involved in installing extender using this method are:
- Ensure you are not using WEP security because WEP security is not supported by Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
- Press and hold WPS button, present on side panel of your extender device, for a while. By this WPS LED of your device will start blinking. This shows that WPS connection is in progress.
- Then press WPS button of extender. Within a while WPS LED will get stable. This shows that WPS link has been established.
- Now you can place your extender wherever you want.
Remember that Router Link LED should have to be either solid amber or solid green. If it is not the case, then you are recommended to move your extender nearer to router device.
- Once you are done with placement of extender, put it on power.
- Now you can connect client devices to extender network.
- Name of extender will be same as your home network has but have _2EXT at the end, for 2.4 GHz band and _5EXT for 5 GHz band.
Let’s say your home network name is mywifiext.net
Then extender network name for 2.4 GHz band will be mywifiext.net_2EXT and for 5 GHz band will be mywifiext.net_5EXT.
2. Web browser setup: - One drawback in this method, as compared to WPS method is that you have to manually perform various steps to get connected with home WiFi network. These steps are:
- Use any WiFi device such as computer to get connected with extender. For this go to WiFi network manager of computer and select extender network name.
- Open web browser and write www.mywifiext.net in address field.
- You will be prompted to New Extender Setup page. Click on New Extender button.
- You will be asked to enter various details to create account. Enter the same and click on Next.
- After selecting network, which you want to extend, click on Next.
- Then you will be needed to enter passkey, which will be same as your existing WiFi network has.
- Assign network name and password to your new extended network and click on Next.
- By this extender got installed, you can connect other network devices with this extended network by using same credentials as you had set in above step.
Steps involved in installing EX6100 in Access Point mode
By working as access point, AC750 will create a new hotspot. Steps involved in setting up itin Access Point mode are:
- Move Access Point/Extender switch towards Access Point. This will notify the device that it has to function as access point.
- Use Ethernet cable to connect Extender and router.
- Put the extender on power and let Power LED become stable.
- Connect to network named as EX6100_NETGEAR_2GEXT or EX6100_NETGEAR_5GEXT, through computer.
- Launch web browser which will prompt you to New Extender Setup Page.
- Complete the details you had asked for and click on Next.
- Click on either home network or Public network.
- Then you will be provided option to set network name and password for each access point network. Once you are done with it click on Next.
- Once you change network name and password, connection between device and computer will be lost. You need to reconnect with access point network using these new details.
- Click on Continue.
- Click on Next.
- Follow instructions as displayed on your screen to register your extender.